Skip to main content

LESSONS FROM TWENTY SOMETHING(s) by Veralyn Chinenye











1, Stop Counting people's blessings ~ It is interesting to admire your friend's success, but don't try to compare and contrast, you're different persons and your paths have been mapped out. When the temptation to compare especially on bad days fingers my eyelids, I pull out my gratitude journal and write out five things I'm grateful for. It could be as little as being able to keep to time or even for being mentioned in a good will comment by a friend.
Being grateful opens us up for more.

2, Try Leadership and Politics ~ I think there are two different things, one is seen as good and the other is seen as bad. The mention of the word "politics" get us grabbing our bags, and the mention of "leadership" gets us spreading our clothes in the open. My involvement in both has impacted my life and my dealing with others. I see both as siamese twins. Politics makes good leadership and Leadership makes good politics. You should try it!

3, Make the first move ~ No body likes to start a session, be it introduction of names or even being the first to get up. There is always this "don't start with me, go the other way" syndrome.
Most times when we take the first move towards starting, we set the pace for others, we make our mistakes and get corrected, we put ourselves in leadership positions and we become responsible and gain confidence in the process.

4, Cuddle Rejection ~ How many rejection mails have you received ? Cuddle it. How many friendships have you tried to get back but slipped through your hands? Cuddle it. How many interviews didn't get back to you? Cuddle it. Cuddle it like you would a teddy bear, only then will you know if your teddy bear is smelly, dirty and needs cleaning.


5, Have Lazy Days ~ Sounds strange? My Friend would say, "I cannot come and kill myself" Yea! Have lazy days, plan for them. So my Lazy days are movie booked, I could see 20movies in a day without having my bath, while throwing cereal in to my mouth, then sleep, wake up, repeat, take a stroll down houses and scream with my siblings.
My typical lazy day is therapeutic and sets me up going for long.

6, Look out for what is finishing your money ~
Find what finishes your money and make sure it is adding to your life. For me books, mobile data,food and transport finishes my money.
Make sure these things are adding up to your life back financially. Try to track your finances, you don't need to be an accountant, you just need a book, pen and the patience to write down your cash flow processes.

7, Ask a "to do list" / plan book out on a date ~ Write the visions, goals, plans and make them plain, so that you can run with them daily. Write the craziest, simplest, weirdest and dopest idea and dream, they will save you the time of thinking and sweating. Write them down, use them as a compass to work through. I keep a daily "to do" book and it is a life saver, mehn! I write at night for the next day.
How do you manage being a a Freelance Writer, Student, Secretary General, Vice President, President, Assistant Mother, Sister and Blogger?
To do list helps me greatly and takes me to the to marina resort cinema for rewards.

8, Take the Risk step ~ All I have ever done in achieving, winning, getting awards, recognitions and exposure is just by TRYING.
My life is just a coke bottle cover that keep saying to me TRY AGAIN and sometimes it leads to wins and sometimes it leads to opportunities. JUST TRY! Always ask yourself; What's the best thing that will happen if you try? what's the worst thing that will have happened if you don't? C'mmon TRY! You might become a triangle having three sides.

9, God it ~ Every step, every stop glue it to God, with God, from God, about God, around God and inside God. That's how I do timbotimbo around God and sleep after work.

10, Be the Curriculum~ Who said school is just passing exams and getting a job? who said you must sort to pass a course or sleep around? who said with a first class you will be first in life? who said an "A" student will work for "C" student and "B" student will work for the government? You can be the Curriculum, set what you want and you will get it, if you want to be an "A" student, "B" "C" student be that for you and not for one rusted curriculum of getting a job somewhere, live what you study, break out of the four walls of the university into the fifth wall. For people like me, my career started in school. I worked in school, putting what I wanted and all I have been thought and researched in to work.
You can be and beyond!

11, Be a Poet ~ Not because I'm one, not at all, but because of the romance you will have with words. Words can make or mar relationships. Poetry will teach you to be cautious with words. How to say ugly in a really fine way and say something really normal is extra beautiful. Every one likes kind words and kinds words cost nothing. Say them to your friends and enemies and you will be amazed how healthy you will be.

12, Smile with your hands ~ Smile and extend that smile in giving, through care, concern, encouragement and believe.
The best time to give is when you don't have. This is knotty, but you will figure it out.
So a friend asks for money, I don't have but I know a friend who can help, I don't have an opportunity, but I know someone who can. I'm sad, but I can make another happy and get better.
You're not a super man/woman, ask for help sometimes. You will be amazed!

13, Ask why not ~ Ask why not with action, why can't I cross gutters? why can't I be a good politician? why can't I be a farmer as a Graduate? why can't I speak my feelings out? Why can't I Multi task as a man? Why can't I wear make up? Break stereotypes and ceilings and reach for your skies. Don't let conventions stiffen you, Ask Why not! Why not noodles and garri? LOL.

14, Loose people ~ The bitter truth is nobody is tied to you or to your heart. Loose people, loose your self. Live free and 'tamed wild', love, learn and move on. Stop doing bestie for 'sombori' that is not 'besting' you . Stop 'booing'and 'baeing' people that don't know you. It's good to have fantasies, but don't hold on to an image for so long that you miss the reality before you.

15, Decorate your environment with Energies ~ My Mum calls my room a shrine because of the positive energies in the pictures happily decorating my wall. She makes a prayer every time she walks into my room, that the energies around becomes one with me. From quotes, pictures of role models, poets, mentors, scriptures and of course my self...

16, Have a wild side ~ If you're a writer try being wild with your characters,through that you will know you're not really missing anything, lol. This is my way of escapes. I try being in a relationship in my mind, I try dating using my characters, I make my characters drink to stupor, I try things that I would not naturally do because of my values and principle somewhere in the wild.
My friend will call it "Psychoanalysis" but this is my subtle way of not missing out. Creepy right? I have delivered almost 200 award winning and sugar coated interviews in my wild side. Every good thing that has ever happened to me came from being conceived in my wild side and then transported to reality, dreams, fantasies and desires start from my wild. Find your wild side and tame it with your own hands.

17, Be Adventurous ~ Take long trips, insist on window seat with a headphone, sleep and dialogize your dreams. Do what you love, love what you do.
Talk to strangers, share little secrets and laughter
Share your meals with them, forget about winch.
You might fail, try it anyway, nobody had done it before, do it anyway. Women don't ask men out, Men don't let women pay for food at dates, LOL. Do it, If you die, you did something weird after all.

18, Expect nothing, be grateful for everything ~ He is suppose to call me, she is suppose to call me. You why not call? She didn't congratulate me, I'm not important, at least a thousand other people did, what is one compared to a thousand? Be deliberate about this and you will live longer. You get "sorry I can't help you right now" Don't flair up in annoyance say "Thank you" with a smile and look out for plan B. Don't let anything mess up your vibes, because nobody owes you anything.

19, Try a new culture - So who said your tribe or culture is the best? Patronise other cultures, try out languages, interrogate cultures beyond the generalization you were born with about different tribes. Who said you must marry from your tribe? Get knowledge, be wowed and maybe get a partner too. LOL.

20, Family ~ Oh…Lord! They can be so annoying, but you're stuck with them for life. The real home after every war. They will hug you in your mess, bring food to your depressed body and caress your hair when you have a bad result. They will always be there for you, even if you don't get to meet them. They are locked in your heart. VALUE THEM!

21, Find the most important things in your life and wear their initials as a suicide rope each day, but they won't kill you, they keep you living. So mine is "GFBBB" They are the reasons I wake up and pursue my dreams.

22, It is good to be the odd one out sha ~ I know some one called Odd Felix, maybe I should change my name to Odd Veralyn. We're thought that Odd numbers are stubborn and do not equalize with any number. We believe Even numbers are sexy and better.
Being Odd is scarce and lonely, but it is setting free, it is being your own boss, it is setting your rules and principle. It is not having money to sew your graduation jacket, and you're not feeling too bad because your class mates think you're odd that's why you didn't sew. Odd is the new cool. I think odd is black and I love black.

23, Ask Questions, Ask Questions, Ask Questions ~
I ask questions a lot from Mentors, friends, children and any one I know has answers, experience and explanations to share.
Yea, Mentors are the real deal when it comes to questions. Have mentors and ask questions, never assume you know it all. Ask that question feeling shy and shaky, It is better than going home ignorant.
Questions, comments and contributions might get you in to trouble, but ask anyway. When ever I attend functions, I'm steadily looking forward to the questions session, it gives me a sense of pride that I can also talk and feel like a speaker.


REMEMBER,YOU CAN BE ALL, BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL
~ Veralyn Chinenye


This is my Birthday gift to you!
Thanks for your kind wishes!
I hope to see you melt into different amazing balls of greatness illuminating the world!

I'm grateful for another year and for you sharing it with me.
Feel free to drop comments, questions and contributions.

My Mum says I am 22 years old today,
But I think I am 23 years old today.
Confused?
LOL

/Veralyn Chinenye/

10/10/2018

<

Comments

  1. Did I ever tell you how inspiring you can be?
    You're beautiful beyond words.
    Happy 22/23rd birthday.
    Cheers to more success

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a gift. Keep rising girl

      Delete
    2. You are a gift. Keep rising girl

      Delete
    3. You are a gift. Keep rising girl

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much.
      You're far too kind for words.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Vera. You're really inspiring to me. Thanks for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...I'm glad this little rumbling did inspire you .
      You're so awesome beyond your knowing.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday Vera. You are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank u vera for this post
    Actually i dont read post like this on blogs but this one..8 had to read it and its so inspiring
    Plscan u explain whats GFBBB and can u throw more light for me concerning that number 21
    Thanks in anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank u vera for this post
    Actually i dont read post like this on blogs but this one..8 had to read it and its so inspiring
    Plscan u explain whats GFBBB and can u throw more light for me concerning that number 21
    Thanks in anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww... Thanks for your comments.
    Thank you for having time to go through my post.
    I'm deeply grateful.
    So, GFBBB are the initials of the Five most important things in my life right now.
    I made a necklace with these initials and I wear it everyday.
    It keeps me going.
    It's more of an inspiration.
    When I feel tired and can't go further. I look at my neck piece and boom it works like magic.
    Yea.
    That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My happiness is that you are rising beyond your stand.
    I love seeing you as a poet, motivator, counselor, writer and a painter.
    Thanks for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most importantly....i read it eventually....thanks dear

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miles from Independence by Tydale Bassey Abigail

Day87 #365daypoetrychallengeforadvocacyandsocialchange Our cloths have torn Our hairs grown bushy Bones emaciated and legs swollen Muscles displaced And our vision discouraged... The path behind us looks abandoned by haggard legs, Bushy as if untrodden See, our babies have died Our kids starved Our boys imprisoned Our girls raped Husbands and wives betrayed And the aged disappointed... Yet the eyes of our polity bulges like the blind statues of Nok Culture We used to have hopes, But they are now tired in the arms of abortion The promises of independence have become stillborn; Mutilated with the bamboo of corruption. Even the wishes that once painted our eyelids Are beginning to wear away Yet the senses of our constitution have breathed only heat on the sore skins of our destinies The song of the national flag has become the loudest noise sung by toothless leaders; A pirate declaration to our unity in diversity Our capital cities are plinths

WHO SAID YOU'LL LIVE LONG(ER) by Ikpoko Sharon

Day85 #365daypoetryforadvocacyandsocialchangechallenge You newly coupled who have refused A return from Paris You recline like butter on bread Who said that you'll live long(er)? You who think suicide is next If you left college next best You shut your eyes on all of your kind Who said that you'll live long(er)? You claim teen Ignoring the clock that said, "no time" You forget the phrase, 'Gone too Soon' Who said that you'll live long(er)? Like the prosperous Ant Just in the corridor, he kicked a pale Death took no bribes Who said that you'll live long(er)? Like the innocent thief Who found a new source of livelihood Life could not offer pity no more Who said that you'll live long(er)? So now you changed the figures And cared less what employees felt The higher throne was all you aimed Who said that you'll live long(er)? You were told to restrain For your family, health and wealth Yet you stuck to the wrap l